Tuesday, May 3, 2011

May Message from Pastor Bob Loffer

Dear Friends:

Spring, as always, has arrived! The newness of our world in the spring of the year is, and always has been, a real wonder to me. The amazing transformation, in a relatively short period of time, from the dreariness of winter to the liveliness of spring is absolutely astounding! What a gift! Thanks be to God!

People can be transformed as well. That transformation can be equally amazing and astounding. God has a hand in both transformations, nature and people. However, people can hinder as well as help their own transformation. Nature, on the other hand, simply complies to the laws of creation.

Personal transformation requires some work on the person’s part. There does come a time when one must let go of what has happened in the past and move forward into the present and future. Learning from the past is one thing, remaining in the muck and mire of the past is not learning but wallowing. Wallowing only leads to the festering of old wounds without allowing light and warmth to touch the hurt and begin the healing.

I know there remains a great deal of anger and hurt among many at Faith United Church of Christ. The pain is real. So is the anger. The time has come for that pain and anger to be exposed, identified, and “aired-out.” I want to hear your stories. I want to help you express your disappointment, your hurt, your anger. I cannot do that unless you will allow me to do so.

Let’s talk! I mean that, sincerely! Come by the office. Call me on the phone. Invite me to your home.

If you have already done so—thank you! Perhaps, you still have more to share or just need a listening ear.

I cannot turn back the clock. I will not be able to undo what has been done. I can listen. I can help you look at what has happened and with God’s help and your willingness to move beyond your hurt, anger, and disappointment begin to heal.

Personal transformation will bring about the transformation of the Church. Once we can move beyond our personal pasts we can move into a present and future that will allow us to focus on the mission and ministry of Jesus Christ in the church we have all come to love.

The key to moving on lies in forgiveness. We must apologize to those whom we have hurt, even if the hurt was unintentional. We must forgive those who hurt us and seek to reconcile with them. Only in offering and accepting forgiveness can we move into a future filled with hope, promise and peace.

Peace and Good Cheer,

Rev. Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment